Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Epley Maneuver: Resolving Vertigo

One of my minor side issues is vertigo.  It tends to get worse over the course of several days, getting to the point where I get dizzy trying to drive or turn over in bed.

Luckily, I have a very easy type of vertigo to temporarily fix.  You know those awkward reset sequences for resetting your car computer?  Apparently our inner ear has one of those too, and it's called the Epley maneuver.  The first time you do the Epley maneuver it should be under medical supervision.  Your symptoms will get real bad during the maneuver and they can monitor that things are going correctly and you don't have a secondary issue being made worse by the odd spine positions.  After that anyone you trust that is willing to study up on it can help you do it at home.

It's a wonderful thing, the most instant cure I know of in medicine.  It's one of the things conventional medicine has done right.  If you experience vertigo you should definitely talk to your doctor and see if it's a good treatment option for you.  I had vertigo for about a decade before anyone taught it to me, and it has made a huge difference in my quality of life.

Why on earth I have fewer of these problematic "free floating particles" in my inner ear when I'm on a low carb diet no-one has explained to me yet, but at least I don't have to suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment