Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Fidgeter

I guess I've always been a fidget-er.  In 6th grade I got kicked out of reading class for reading in class.  In 7th grade I incessantly cleaned the desks by rubbing drops of glue dry on them, or munched on pretzels.  In 9th grade I used my compass to draw circles laid out hexagon-ally over and over and over again...  When I had the phone center job I did origami cranes while on calls.  I think the question is not why do I fidget, but why did I do it more in some subjects than others, and why has it not been a problem in my career until recently?  Nobody at work as called me on it, but I feel that I'm getting distracted too much and not giving 100%.  I want to be really good at what I do, and I can't be that if I'm distracted.  Does the type of distraction matter?  Are origami cranes small enough units to not keep me away from typing too long?  Are drawn circles thoughtless enough to leave more room for the primary brain task?  I know tatting is out as a work fidget as my fingers always end up tangled in the work right when I think of what to type next...

No comments:

Post a Comment