Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Ice Cream

I bought an ice cream maker.  A Cuisinart ICE-21 to be exact.
I've always been intrigued by homemade ice cream, it was an occasional treat growing up, but it's nearly impossible to make enough ice in my freezer to make the old family machine work correctly.  The new machine has a freezer bowl.  I just put the whole bowl in the freezer the day before I want to make ice cream, and I put it into the machine cold.  No mussing with ice and salt.  I'll keep the old family machine, it could be fun to buy ice for a party and make more than one batch at a time.

Discovery 1:  I've totally gotten used to a low sugar diet.  I'll really dig into a bowl of unsweetened cream and strawberries, but ice cream made to the standard recipe is really too sweet.

Discovery 2:  I've totally gotten used to straight heavy whipping cream, the 2/3 cream and 1/3 milk mixture in the recipe seems thin to me.  I'm going to try experimenting with heavy and light cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment