Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Mini Mackerel-Pumpkin Quiche

I went to a social occasion this weekend, and brought way too much smoked fish which I came home with.  The fish is rather salty and needs something to pare it down.  I also purchased about a half a ton of pumpkins from a stand closing up shop at the end of the season (for the sheep).  Among those pumpkins were some little acorn squash sized ones I thought might make decent lunch bases.  Thirdly, I now have chickens and am starting to explore more uses of eggs in preparation for the oversupply I expect in summer.  As a result I came up with this unlikely lunch.

1/2 pumpkin, seeded
1-2 Tablespoons of peppers and onions, chopped (leftover in the freezer from a previous lunch)
2 teaspoons olive oil
Sprinkle of salt (probably didn't need that)
Microwave for 2 minutes
3-4 Tablespoons of shredded smoked Mackerel
1 egg
Remember when adding the egg that it is only nominally a liquid and may try to run entirely off the top of the pumpkin and escape if you don't quickly mix it in.  Perhaps next time I'll break the egg first and then add the solid ingredients.
Microwave for 5 minutes.

I'm not entirely sold on this preparation.  The edges of the egg were done way before the center.  Perhaps a stir after the first minute or two?  Also with no milk or separate bowl for beating the egg, it came out much less smooth than a normal quiche.  The little pumpkin itself has a spaghetti squash like texture, and may do well with some sort of sauce. An acorn squash has a smoother texture and might do better with this.  The squash releases moisture as it cooks, so it's a bit difficult to see when the egg is done, if the moisture is uncooked egg or pumpkin juice.

I'm not entirely giving up on the concept of pumpkin shelled quiche though, I'm going to try a larger pumpkin, in the oven, with italian sausage, peppers and onions, and the eggs properly blended before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment