Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Changes in the Wind

The shoes and the diet have made a huge impact on my health, but I still have yet to make the big change.  The BIG change.  Although I seem to be the only one that sees it as such a huge deal.  You can judge for yourself.

Big Change Part A:  The Farm

In about a month, we will be ready to apply for a mortgage.  That mortgage will be on a sizable piece of property in the country.  I intend to start growing more of my own food, vegetables and meat.  Chickens, sheep, and goats are on the early consideration list.  Pigs are awfully tasty and will therefore probably be a part.  Cows are just sooo....  BIG.  I'm going to try out smaller livestock first and get a handle on that.  I already have some experience growing my own vegetables, but I expect the first year or two to be a bit of a break-in period if the soil is not already well amended.

Our city home is 100% paid for.  No matter what happened to us, we always had a place to stay (assuming we could manage the minor city tax and avoid a tax lien.)  The farm is considerably more expensive, some places we're considering an order of magnitude more so.  In this rough economy is getting a new mortgage a wise idea?

Will I be able to handle this extra commute and extra work load?  Will I get calls at work that the sheep are out of their pasture again?  Will I totally freeze up when it's time to slaughter and eat Lambchop and Chicken Dumpling?

Big Change Part B: Giving up my desk job

Some time after we move (couple months?  years?), I will be quitting my desk job and becoming a full time mother/farmer.

This is the really scary one.  This is the one with no going back.  Once I get out of the workforce we will go from double income to one, and after a lapse in employment it's very hard to get back to your previous income level without starting over at the bottom.  Having my first child without my mother around is scary by itself.

Will I be able to handle motherhood and going into business for myself at the same time?  Will I be able to make any money off pastured meats and fiber crafts?

Mixed Emotions

For a long time this is what I said I wanted.  This is what I've been doing most of my reading for.  I have a notebook full of figures and notes.  And yet...  Now that it's on the horizon, I'm scared more than excited.  So many unanswered questions, so many other choices I will have to abandon...

Nothing to do but pray about it for now.  I'm waiting for hubby's new salary to show up on pay stubs, and  things to calm down where I work.  (Doing as much overtime as I can manage is not compatible with setting up a new house a forty-five minute drive away.)  Time to sit back, wait, and be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment