Sunday, January 2, 2022

The intersection of COVID and Conservative Christianity - What is Church anyway?

 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.

Romans 13:1 ESV

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/frequently-asked-questions-proof-full-vaccination-or-mask-requirement-businesses-and-venues

The current executive order binds me in certain ways, but it does not bind me from being a part of the church.  Since I decided to not go to church for a few weeks, some might criticize me over:

24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

Hebrews 10, ESV

Since I started "staying home" I've had people over to dinner, I've visited the sick, I've mentored a teen, I've continued to show up on social media and speak the truth as I see it.  (Maybe could use more salt and light in my social media posts, but I'm definitely not staying socially isolated, and I have more to say in text than I do sitting in my little post at the back of the church.)  Meeting in large groups for fellowship is powerful and good, but is not necessary for us to fulfill Hebrews 10.

Late last year I listed to the audiobook version of "Letters to the Church" by Francis Chan. I encourage you to also read this book, and think about what else you can do that is the real heart and soul of the church besides those few hours on Sunday morning.  He is way more eloquent and educated than myself on the topic.  Church is supposed to be a family, not just a lecture and a song and getting off the hook for "doing church" for another week.  Sunday morning is important and good, but it is not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment